Jean Dix knows local nursing facilities better than most. A retired Presbyterian minister who moved to the Berkshires to be closer to her daughter years ago, Jean has remained active in church as a member of the Visitation Committee. This committee is responsible for visiting people in each and every nursing facility in the area. When it came time for her to choose a facility after a fall and broken pelvis in January, Jean told her physician in no uncertain terms that she wanted to go to Mount Carmel Care Center, saying “it’s the best.” A resident of Devonshire Estates, just across the street from Mount Carmel, Jean vividly remembers her fall in her kitchen that broke her pelvis and several days of hospital care with oversight from an orthopedic physician and her urologist David Noyes, MD. It would take a goal-oriented regimen to help Jean recover and ultimately regain the strength to live independently once again.
Mount Carmel’s Interdisciplinary Treatment Program
Physical & Occupational Therapy
- Needing maximum assistance early on, therapists used passive techniques to encourage movement in Jeans legs and feet.
- Therapists used ankle weights, leg lifts, leg extensions and other exercises to improve her strength and range of motion.
- As Jean regained the ability to walk with assistance, she progressed to ambulate further distances (up to 200 feet) and climb stairs.
- Nursing staff oversaw pain management, which was essential to enabling Jean to perform exercises that were pivotal to her recovery.
- The multiple pelvic fractures caused injury to her bladder. Jean required the use of a Foley catheter. Nursing managed and monitored the catheter, following up with urology as needed.
Outcome: After several weeks of focused rehabilitation work, Jean has achieved independence and has returned to her home at Devonshire Estates.
In Her Own Words: “Every person here is ‘A+.’ I would definitely recommend Mount Carmel. The comfort of the place, it feels like a home. And the rehab therapists are relentless! They keep you going!”
* Mount Carmel Care Center is a five-star rated facility according to the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid (CMS) and has received five consecutive annual deficiency-free surveys by the Mass. Dept. of Public Health.